- Kings County Baseball League action comes to Memorial Field tonight at 6:30 as the PEI Youth Selects host Stratford.
- The Blue Jays return from the All-Star break tonight with a game at Rogers Centre against the Orioles. Sam Gaviglio (gah-VEE’-lee-oh) is scheduled to start for Toronto against Baltimore’s Dylan Bundy. The second half of the baseball season got underway last night as Ian Happ belted a two-run homer and the Chicago Cubs beat the St. Louis Cardinals 9-6 in baseball’s first game after the All-Star break. Other match-ups today include the Red Sox in Detroit, the Rangers hosting Cleveland, the Astros are on the road to L.A., the Dodgers are in Milwaukee in the baby-league, while the Mets and the Yankees duke it out in New York in interleague play.
- The Ottawa Redblacks host the B-C Lions tonight in CFL action.
- Adam Hadwin of Abbotsford, B-C is teeing off today in the second round of the British Open. The lone Canadian in the field opened yesterday with a 2-over 73, seven shots off first-round leader Kevin Kisner. Tiger Woods used his driver just once en route to a 1-under 71 in the opening round.
- Meanwhile, the final field for the R-B-C Canadian Open will be unveiled tonight. The PGA Tour event runs next week at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville, Ontario. Organizers will be keeping a close eye on the British Open this week. Many of the top Canadian Open players will take a charter from Scotland to Toronto on Sunday night with Hadwin leading the Canadian contingent
- Thursday night harness racing at Red Shorse Race Track and Casino at the Charlottetown Driving Park saw Prettyndangerous firing on all cylinders with Gilles Barrieau in the bike, crushing her opposition in the featured pace in 1:55.4….and David Dowling scored a driving triple on the program to give himself 993 career wins, just seven shy of the 1,000 win plateau.
- Sharpshooter Kyle Arseneault – a six-foot-five versatile forward – has inked a deal with the Island Storm of the National Basketball League. The signing marks a return to the East Coast for the Fredericton native, after playing with Kitchener-Waterloo following his successful stint at Acadia.
- Former PEI Rocket Jimmy Bonneau was named assistant coach with the AHL San Jose Barracuda. He has been a scout with the organization for the past couple of seasons.
Saskatchewan 31 Hamilton 20
Chicago Cubs 9 St. Louis 6
(All Times Eastern)
B.C. at Ottawa, 7 p.m.
Baltimore (Bundy 6-9) at Toronto (Gaviglio 2-3), 7:07 p.m.
Boston (Price 10-6) at Detroit (Boyd 4-8), 7:10 p.m.
Cleveland (Bauer 8-6) at Texas (Perez 2-4), 8:05 p.m.
Minnesota (Gibson 4-6) at Kansas City (Duffy 5-8), 8:15 p.m.
Houston (Keuchel 7-8) at L.A. Angels (Skaggs 7-5), 10:07 p.m.
Chicago White Sox (Shields 4-10) at Seattle (LeBlanc 5-1), 10:10 p.m.
St. Louis (Flaherty 3-4) at Chicago Cubs (Lester 12-2), 2:20 p.m.
Atlanta (Sanchez 4-2) at Washington (Strasburg 6-6), 7:05 p.m.
San Diego (Richard 7-8) at Philadelphia (Arrieta 7-6), 7:05 p.m.
Pittsburgh (Taillon 6-7) at Cincinnati (Mahle 7-7), 7:10 p.m.
L.A. Dodgers (TBD) at Milwaukee (TBD), 8:10 p.m.
Colorado (Marquez 8-8) at Arizona (TBD), 9:40 p.m.
N.Y. Mets (Syndergaard 5-1) at N.Y. Yankees (German 2-5), 7:05 p.m.
Miami (Straily 3-4) at Tampa Bay (Eovaldi 3-4), 7:10 p.m.
San Francisco (Rodriguez 4-1) at Oakland (Jackson 1-1), 9:35 p.m.