The provincial government has announced expansions to its Disability Support Program — expansions that will include a coordinator to help clients navigate the system, job coaching and skills training, increased financial help for home and vehicle modifications, and a toll-free number as single point of contact.
Some of the new or enhanced supports include:
- support for all disabilities including physical, intellectual, neurological, sensory and mental, based on an assessment;
- a new assessment tool to help better understand how the disability affects activities of daily living to ensure appropriate support is provided;
- new Community Connector positions to focus on improving people’s independence and more active participation in community living;
- a supports coordinator to navigate all available support services and develop a personalized plan to meet individual needs;
- increased supports for finding or keeping a job including coaching and skills training;
- increased financial help for home and vehicle modifications required because of a disability -$10,000 every 10 years for home (was $2,000 in a lifetime) and $6,000 every 8 years for a vehicle (was $2,000 in a lifetime); and
- a single point of contact by calling a toll-free number for easier access to support.
The changes are effective July 16, 2018.