RESULTS & SPORTS NEWS
- The Charlottetown Islanders left Halifax Thursday night with an exciting 2-0 victory over the Maritime Division leading Mooseheads. Goalie Matt Welsh came away with a 36-save shutout victory, earning his 55th win as an Islander and setting a new franchise goaltending record for most wins in the club’s history. The Islanders are back home tonight at Eastlink Centre at 7 with Acadie-Bathurst in town.
- Andrew Ebbett scored twice as Canada beat host club H-C Davos 4-1 to advanc to the semifinals of the Spengler Cup. Zach Boychuk and P-A Parenteau also scored for Canada as the two-time defending champions finished first in their group with a full six points at the pre-Olympic tournament.
- Russia beat Switzerland 5-2 in preliminary round action at the world junior hockey championships. In other matchups, Finland topped Denmark 4-1 and Sweden edged the Czech Republic 3-1. Canada had the day off before taking on the U-S in an outdoor game today.
- Steve Stamkos scored twice to lift the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 3-1 victory over the visiting Montreal Canadiens. Brayden Point also scored for the Lightning. Brendan Gallagher had the lone goal for Montreal. The Habs have lost three straight. Elsewhere, the Sharks beat the Calgary Flames 3-2 in San Jose…the Canucks snapped a four-game losing streak with a 5-2 home victory over the Chicago Blackhawks…and the Maple Leafs beat the Coyotes 7-4 in Arizona where Austin Matthews scored his 15th of the season and first against his hometown team.
- The 2017 Canadian Press team of the year award goes to Canada’s men’s under-19 basketball squad. The Canadians made history when they won the under-19 world championship this year, going through the powerful United States in the semifinals. Rising star R-J Barrett was named M-V-P of the tournament.
- The Charlottetown Islanders have no time to rest, as they’re thrust right back into action tonight at home against the Acadie-Bathurst Titan. Game time is at 7. The Islanders are fresh from a 2 – 0 blanking of the Mooseheads in Halifax last night. The Islanders have taken all four matchups this season against the Titan. With a day off Saturday, the two teams meet again in Bathurst Sunday for a matinee match-up at 1.
- PEI Jr B action has Western visiting Kensington tonight at 7:30.
- Junior C play has Georgetown hosting Southside while Sherwood travels to Slemon Park to take on Summerside. Both games are at 8.
- Major Midget action sees Kensington on the road to St. John for an 8 o’clock start tonight then it’s back home to Kensington to host Moncton Saturday night at 7:30. Charlottetown has the day off but the Pride hit the road tomorrow to Fredericton for an evening match-up at 7.
- The third and final day of play in the 13th annual George Trainor Holiday Classic is happening today at a number of rinks in the Charlottetown area. Several Island teams are taking part from Novice “A’ to Midget “A”.
- Canada takes on the arch-rival Americans in a chilly outdoor preliminary-round game at the world junior hockey championships this afternoon at 3 p-m Eastern. Canada has won both its games so far while the Americans have split theirs.
- The Maple Leafs and Flames are both back in action tonight after games last night. The Leafs are in Colorado to take on the Avalanche while the Flames continue their west coast road trip with a stop in Anaheim. Also, Ottawa hosts the Columbus Blue Jackets and Edmonton is home to the Blackhawks.
- No action today for the Island Storm but it’s a road trip Saturday for a 7 o’clock tip off against Saint John.
- The Toronto Raptors are looking to end a string of back-to-back losses as they take on the Atlanta Hawks at Air Canada Centre.
World Junior Hockey Championship
Russia vs. Belarus, 12 p.m.
United States vs. Canada, 3 p.m.
At Davos, Switzerland
Mountfield HK vs. Dinamo Riga, 9 a.m.
HPK Hameenlinna vs. HC Davos, 2:15 p.m.
Buffalo at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
N.Y. Rangers at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Philadelphia at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Pittsburgh at Carolina, 7:30 p.m.
Columbus at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Nashville at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
N.Y. Islanders at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
St. Louis at Dallas, 8:30 p.m.
Toronto at Colorado, 9 p.m.
Chicago at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
Calgary at Anaheim, 10 p.m.
Providence at Utica, 7 p.m.
Rochester at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Cleveland at Grand Rapids, 7 p.m.
Hartford at WB/Scranton, 7:05 p.m.
Hershey at Springfield, 7:05 p.m.
Charlotte at Lehigh Valley, 7:05 p.m.
Chicago at Milwaukee, 8 p.m.
Iowa at Rockford, 8 p.m.
Texas at San Antonio, 8:30 p.m.
Stockton at Ontario, 10 p.m.
Tucson at Bakersfield, 10 p.m.
Houston at Washington, 7 p.m.
Atlanta at Toronto, 7:30 p.m.
Brooklyn at Miami, 8 p.m.
Dallas at New Orleans, 8 p.m.
Indiana at Chicago, 8 p.m.
Milwaukee at Oklahoma City, 8 p.m.
Phoenix at Sacramento, 10 p.m.
Charlotte at Golden State, 10:30 p.m.
L.A. Clippers at L.A. Lakers, 10:30 p.m.
Vancouver at New England, 7:30 p.m.
Colorado at Calgary 9 p.m.