– The Brad Gushue rink won a second straight Canadian men’s curling champion with a 6-4 win over Alberta’s Brendan Bottcher. Gushue, third Mark Nichols, second Charlottetown’s Brett Gallant and lead Geoff Walker will represent Canada at the men’s world championship in Las Vegas later this month.
– In just their very first year of play, the Holland College Hurricanes Ringette squad captured the 2018 University Cup in Halifax Sunday. Coach Stephen Gallaway and his lady ‘Canes downed Dalhousie 3 – 2 in their maiden season.
– A&S Scrap Metal Metros downed the Vipers 2 – 1 in the shootout Sunday night in Kensington in Island Junior B hockey. Meanwhile, Andrew Campbell, Johnathan Arseanult, and Hunter MacIntyre each score twice to lead the Eastern Maniacs to a 6 – 5 edging of the Western Red Wings to end the regular season Sunday night in Souris. Playoffs start Tuesday.
– Dawson Sellick notched the overtime winner at 5:07 to lift the Tignish Aces to a 6 – 5 win over the Sherwood Metros in game 1 of the best-of-seven in the Island Jr. C final. Game 2 goes tonight at Cody Banks at 7:20.
– The Bantam AAA final is all squared up at 1 apiece as the Central Atttack downed Prince County Warriors 4 – 3 in O’Leary. Zack Squires netted the game winner at 9:36 in OT. Game 3 in the best of five is Tuesday night at Simmons.
– NHL action had the Coyotes blank the Canucks 1 – 0…the Islanders downed Calgary 5 – 2…the Bruins lost 3 – 1 to Chicago…and the Penguins best Dallas 3 – 1.
– In the NBA, the Raptors beat the Knicks 132-106 in New York for their season-high 8th straight victory.
– The Tignish Aces travel to Cody Banks Arena tonight for game 2 against Sherwood in the best-of-seven Island Jr. C final. Puck drops at 7:20. Tignish leads the series 1 -0.
– PEI Midget AAA final series continues tonight in Pownal as the Red Devils host Mid-Isle at 7:30. The Matrix are up 1 – 0 in that best-of-seven.
– The PEI Midget Triple A female hockey championship lands in Cornwall tonight at 6:20 as the Wildcats host Kings County Kings at APM Centre. The Kings took the first game of the best-of-five on weekend, edging Mid-Isle 2 – 1 in Montague.
– The Winnipeg Jets are in Washington to take on the Capitals in N-H-L action tonight. Also tonight, Montreal is at Columbus, Ottawa visits Florida and Vancouver is at Los Angeles.
– Tiger Woods and Ernie Els will duel in the Presidents Cup again, this time as captains. Woods and Els have agreed to be captains for the 2019 matches in Melbourne.