The PEI Fire Marshal’s Office is warning that rags that have absorbed oils such as linseed oil, must be disposed of safely..
The warning comes after the Souris Fire Department responded to a fire late last Thursday night.
But the investigation has determined that the fire started in the middle of the building, and it was caused by rags used for applying an oil-based floor stain containing linseed oil.
Linseed oil is highly likely to ignite if the rags are not disposed of in the proper manner and according to manufacturer instructions. To avoid spontaneous combustion, soak soiled rags in a water-filled, closed metal container.